Saturday, April 11, 2009

Self-publishing: Is that the way ahead for authors?

Stanley Lover

Who knows what’s best for writers disillusioned by the crumbling edifice of traditional publishing? Is self-publishing an alternative until the emergence of a more solid structure?
Stanley Lover suggests this could be a useful topic for serious debate at SOAF meetings to pool experiences and ideas.


I’m in a quandary; to self-publish or not to self-publish. That is the question.

I doubt if I’m alone. Richard Lewis asserts (blogspots Jan/Feb 09) that authors have to accept that the traditional publishing process is on the rocks and sinking fast, leaving authors floundering in a turbulent sea of doubt and depression.

Our Chairman, Gregor Dallas, agrees up to a point, but am I thinking ‘suicidal’ as he suggests? He sees opportunity in adversity and a return to the old formula but ends with this suicidal thought:

‘Somebody, somewhere, will pick up the tab because those two services, editorial expertise and competent publicity, from a well-financed centre that recruits only the best are essential: the best discerning editors with the best publicity for the best authors. That is the way it has always been. Perhaps this will begin with a 'self-publishing' firm. Perhaps somewhere else.’

I wonder if the current and uncertain future climate will allow for a renaissance of the old order – in our lifetime. Richard foresees an inevitable shift to electronic books. Whether we like it or not the super brain power and driving energy employed in this medium will surely make it come to pass. It is another route for authors to parade their creative ideas and quality writing.

But, back to my ‘suicidal’ thought. My immediate objective is to self-publish a memoir ‘Chronicles of a Timid Lover’ after two years of pleasure in writing it. It is not intended as a misery memoir. It’s the story of my life - essentially for the information of my family and friends - recording my existence during extraordinary times on this beautiful but troubled world.

I am not a celebrity and have no illusions as to its merit as a mega seller. So, I search not for an agent or a publisher but to encase my story in a quality book which will feel good in a reader’s hands, and be entertaining as well as informative.

My best, perhaps only, solution seems to be self-publishing – not only for my memoir but also for reviving several out-of-print (still relevant) works.

I have studied the excellent Guide to Self-Publishing and Print-on-Demand (POD), published by our own Society of Authors, and absorbed its essential advice on the minefield which awaits uninformed authors. Another source of invaluable information is The Complete Guide to Self-publishing- 4th Edition by Tom & Marilyn Ross, although some of its contents may not be completely abreast of recent technological progress.

I’ve also researched several leading SP providers (LULU, AuthorHouse, Matador, Anthony Rowe, iUniverse, etc., plus Publibook in France). They all offer attractive services, some of which can be taken with a pinch of the proverbial salt. They range from ‘full publishing’ to do-it-yourself Print on Demand, at prices which can be astronomical if the small print is ignored.

What I need is advice from authors who have experience of self-publishing. Do we have any members who are prepared to share their practical knowledge in this field to help novices like me take the best route?

To Chairman Gregor Dallas - May I suggest that the topic of self-publishing be on the agenda at our May meeting in Paris? I can display a few examples of SP books obtained in my research and provide contact info for anyone interested to explore their own needs.

Posted by Stanley Lover (Neuilly-sur-Seine 92) 10 April 2009

2 Comments:

Blogger Tuscan Traveller said...

Hi Stanley,
"Do we have any members who are prepared to share their practical knowledge in this field...?" you ask. A friend of mine, self-published and successful, can't join SOA. Why? Because she's self-published!

1/5/09 4:06 AM  
Blogger Incipient said...

Hi
I've done an very extensive search, and your's is the only site (in English) that says Publibook is a self publisher (a company that publishes regardless of merit, for a fee)

Are you sure?
Tony

12/6/09 5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home